why we write
On twitter, another writer tagged me in a chainmeme with the question, “why do you write?”
It’s not an easy question, the more you dig down. There are layers and layers. Like a frog.
- I like the actual writing. Letting my imagination run wild and free, also rather like a frog.
- I like making people laugh, cry, think, and imagine. I like to think my writing might do some of that.
- I write to practice. I know I mostly suck right now. I have hopes that this will someday evolve into mostly sort of sucking.
- I hope that someday I will be able to support myself and my family solely through writing.
- I have dreams of someday being a little closer to master of my own work and schedule. To the extent that a writer can be, of course.
- I ponder what I’m leaving for the world with my life, and I like the idea that people may read my writing and think good thoughts. And maybe even, wow that guy was really with it, you know? Kind of like a frog.